Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Building the Bed (Pt. 2)

Today I put the carpet on the bed foundation, made "nightstands" to hold lights, computer, CPAP, etc. After I put the carpet on, I realized that the futon was 72 inches in length and the truck bed is only 66 inches in length. I decided to build an extension an attach it with a hinge that could be down for storage and up with two sturdy legs to hold the additional inches for the futon mattress. While traveling the extra few inches of the futon easily folds up against the tailgate and presents no problem whatsoever.

Adding the carpet to the foundation.
Putting carpet on the pieces added to the width of each piece so I had to sand down the sides to make it fit snug.
All four pieces are now carpeted and fit together nicely!  :)
Now to add the gear to see where everything will go.
This is cutting out the "nightstands."  They will clamp to the bed of the truck.
The cleats will give the added support needed to hold the nightstands in place.
This is the extension that I added for the extra length in the futon mattress. I used some gray carpet because I ran out of the black.
The extension has two legs that are screwed on at the bottom for added support.  
The bed foundation is finished.  In the corners you can see the "nightstands" in place.  They should be very functional.
Another view of the finished foundation.  I can't wait to use it!  :)

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment